maanantai 19. joulukuuta 2011

Elfen - To Eldamar from Minas Morgul CassEP 1999


Elfen - To Eldamar from Minas Morgul Cassette EP 1999
Eldamar - The House of the Trolls
1)
Mirkwood
2) Lothlórien
3) Minas Morgul
4) Isengard
5) Moria
6) Uruk-Hai
Minas Morgul demo 1997 (bonus)
7) Lothlórien
8) Moria
9) Isengard
10) Minas Morgul

Mediafire / Depositfiles

Tolkien related material today, this tape EP/compilation was released by Elven Witchcraft back in 1999 and I was thinking I'd be getting Summoning-style metal as I ordered this tape. That's not the case even if there are some slightly metal-esque parts, this is more correctly black/ambient and/or dungeon synth. You know, lots of keyboards, some percussion here and there, vocals ranging from whispers to narration to almost black metal style rasping. Not to forget assorted sound effects. Some people apparently manage to see this as a nationalistic or Hellenistic project. Well, whatever you say, the lyrics are included and they are quite standard Tolkien fare. I'm not sure if their later texts could be different? Probably the connections of the project make people go for that assumption.

So how's it like then? Well it's really an uneven sort of affair, ranging from ridiculous to cool parts. I refuse to call it metal even if some tracks partially resemble it. I'd put it somewhere in between black/ambient and dungeon synth categories. The sound of the cassette EP portion is supposedly better than on the demo bit but what it gains in clarity it loses in atmosphere. Both are firmly in the plastic, cheap synth sound department which is not necessarily a bad thing. The demo versions of the tracks are longer, slightly more ponderous and clumsier yet somehow I seem to enjoy them more. I guess their poor-man's-Summoning feeling is enough to amuse me. But enough of my long-winded babbling, download it and listen for yourself.

12 kommenttia:

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Totally down with the synthy ambient stuff, thanks for the spate of recent such posts, Velkaarn.

By far the most interesting stuff happening in the current black metal arena to my ear is what at least one blog is calling Space Black Metal. Those long droning synth and electronica based passages can convey as much menace as a blast from Mayhem, just in a different manner.

Thanks for all the great work you do here.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kp:

You're welcome and don't worry, more of the sort coming up! Including some items I've had a bit of a difficulty with, I've had it with waiting and decided to go and post 'em and possibly get the info I need.

Yes, some of that space-oriented black metal sounds very good, I don't remember name right away but I remember reading a blog devoted to such sounds. You might want to check out Oranssi Pazuzu from Finland, I've read their 2nd album would be very good. Haven't heard it myself yet.

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Hmm, you sure these aren't Stranglers outtakes? Invoking the name of Summoning nearly put me off checking this out, but I'm glad it didn't stop me. Curious fare.

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Haven't heard O Pazuzu's second one yet, thanks for the tip. Progenie Terrestra Pura (Italy) are even further out into the cosmos and have my ear at the moment.

THE DECEASED kirjoitti...

Not related to your post, but Velkaarn: check this out!! http://lockjaw-yappy.blogspot.com/2011/12/teach-your-soul-with-fire-vol-iii.html

zargonath kirjoitti...

Simply Velkaarn the blog is named
http://spaceblackmetal.blogspot.com/

Btw thks for the Elfen EP

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

Thanks for the comments, guys!
@kp:
Good if you enjoyed it! Hmm, I'll need to check out that P.T.P. you mention.
@TD:
Nice to read from you, I'll go check out Lockjaw right away!
@zargonath:
You're welcome and thanks for the link, I'll have a look at that... I could've sworn the name was different though.

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Following up Zargonath's post, SpaceBlackMetal is indeed the place. The posting pace has slowed there a bit but the archive is well worth delving into.

Andrew Werdna kirjoitti...

This is nice. A lot of good songs on here, mixed in with a few strange ones, as you pointed out, but I like it. Thanks for the upload.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Andrew:

Thanks for commenting, I thought this might amuse you!

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Hey, any chance for link update?

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@anon:

Reuploading to another server as I type!